Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Live Life

I had a 104 degree fever for a couple of days. This gave me some time to reevaluate the amount of time I have spent playing Warcraft. In short, fuck that. So I'm replacing that time with something a bit more productive. At least, involved with music production. This has involved getting more familiar - that is, at all familiar with - the program Ableton Live.

It's an all-around monster of sorts, with its core focused on live electronic performance via loops, songs, midi, and any physical instrumentation you want to plug into it.

So far engaging this beast has resulted in a couple of fun beats:

This is only a test 5

This is only a test 6

And so I have sat here a couple of hours this morning, after waking up early, installing software and flying around the Internet, getting this tutorial and that preset and the other patch. And for what?

To enjoy myself. : )

There's so many other projects I either love or hate but want to finish. But this is just pure fun in the moment right now, with the added far-off possibility of performance in the future - which is just completely teh awesome.

Does life get harder or easier as we get older? Both, I'd say. You have more physical energy and an easier recovery time when you're younger, but when you're older you know more both about the world and yourself, that can help you focus and marshal your energy the better.

But within this earned seriousness, sometimes one can forget to cultivate fun in one's life. And then turn around, seemingly suddenly, to find out you're marching forward in a barren field. That's no freaking fun at all.

It seems safe to say that, with my ideADDiction, that at least is an unlikely fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment